call us817-926-6153

Parker County Child Custody Attorneys

Lawyers for Suits Affecting the Parent Child Relationship (SAPCR) in Parker County

The Texas Family Code refers to child custody as "conservatorship." In family law cases, Texas courts may grant custody rights to one or both of a child's parents, or to other people if necessary. If you are going through a divorce, or if you are no longer in a relationship with your child's other parent, then you may need to address issues related to child custody. You will need to be able to demonstrate that you can provide for your children's best interests, and you may also need to show that being present and involved in your children's lives is beneficial for them. With the help of an attorney, you can make sure these issues will be addressed correctly in family court.

At J.A. Griffin Law Firm, P.C., we have been representing both moms and dads in conservatorship matters since 2015. With more than 10 years of combined experience, our family law attorneys are well-respected by clients and members of the North Central Texas legal community. We pride ourselves on being open, honest, and devoted to securing exceptional results for all those who entrust us with the legal matters that affect their families. If you are currently involved in a divorce with children, or if you need to address a Suit Affecting the Parent-Child Relationship (SAPCR) as an unmarried parent, we can provide the dependable counsel and experienced representation you need. We understand how difficult these situations can be, and we will do everything we can to resolve your case in a way that protects your children's best interests while ensuring that you can maintain your parental rights.

Understanding Legal Custody of Children in Texas

Conservatorship refers to the rights of a parent to be involved in their children's lives and make decisions about how they will be raised. There are numerous different conservatorship arrangements that may be put in place by family courts, including:

  • Joint managing conservatorship: This is also known as "joint custody," and it is the most common arrangement used in divorce and family law cases. It will allow both parents to play an active, continuing part in raising their children. To make sure that parents will be able to cooperate in raising their children, a joint parenting agreement must be created, and the parents may negotiate the terms of this agreement with each other to ensure that their needs and concerns will be properly addressed. The agreement will specify each parent's rights and obligations concerning their children, and it will also detail how possession and access (commonly referred to as "legal custody" or "visitation" will be handled). An agreed parenting plan may be submitted in court, and it will be approved by a judge as long as it is in the children's best interests.
  • Sole managing conservatorship: If necessary, the court can choose to bestow managing conservatorship on only one parent. This is often referred to as "sole custody," and in these cases, the parent with sole managing conservatorship will have the authority to make all necessary decisions concerning their children.
  • Possessory conservatorship: If a parent is not granted legal custody of their children, they may be given possessory conservatorship instead. This will provide them with visitation rights, ensuring that they can spend time with their children on a regular basis. However, the parent will not have the authority to make decisions concerning the children's upbringing.

Wise County Attorneys Advocating for Your Parental Rights and Your Children's Best Interests

At J.A. Griffin Law Firm, P.C., our highly-skilled attorneys recognize that joint managing conservatorship is often the ideal arrangement for divorced parents or other child custody cases. In fact, the state of Texas assumes that joint custody is in a child's best interests unless there are extraordinary circumstances. In cases involving family violence, abandonment by a parent, or other issues that could put children's safety or well-being at risk, sole managing conservatorship may be granted. However, even in situations involving sole custody, both parents will usually be able to spend a reasonable amount of time with the children on an ongoing basis.

When you entrust our firm to assist you with child custody issues, we will devote ourselves to safeguarding your legal rights as a parent while advocating for solutions that will provide for your children's best interests. We will listen closely to your concerns and work with you to negotiate a parenting agreement that is tailored specifically to your family's needs. If an agreement cannot be reached amicably, we are always ready to advocate for you in court with the aim of achieving the results that will allow you and your children to maintain close, ongoing relationships while ensuring that your children's needs will be met at all times.

Contact Our Weatherford Child Custody Lawyers

Reach out to our office today at 817-926-6153 to learn more about how we can assist you with your child custody disputes. We provide free consultations, and we assist with family law cases in Decatur, Fort Worth, Parker County, Wise County, Tarrant County, and throughout North Central Texas.

badge badge badge badge
Back to Top